Hoots (or Hootie as he’s affectionately known by his lovely owner!) was built with two very distinct uses in mind – as a comfortable family getaway vehicle / split equally as a part-time rental campervan. This very specific project brief lead our decision making on particular aspects of the build such as colour choice, hardware choices and appliances…
The layout is the classic fixed bed across the rear using side pod extensions to give an extra 20cm of width across the sleeping area, making it more than comfortable for sleepers up to 6’3 tall! While the uber-comfy 120cm wide booth can easily seat 4 adults around the adjustable Lagun table mount with our solid oak table top – perfect for entertaining!
The remaining living space is given over to the kitchen – with almost 3.5m of staved oak worktop on offer – plenty for even the most demanding chef! There’s heaps of storage, both above & below – we even managed to find space for a porta-potti tucked away in it’s very own drawer! The excellent double swivel base fitted to the passenger seat offers even more seating when parked up.
Other stand-out features in Hoots include the rear door mounted shower set up for those post-surf wash downs (with piping hot water supplied by the Truma Combi 4E!) and the incredible 4m long Fiamma F80S Awning that when wound-out almost doubles the living space – now we can P.A.R.T.Y!!
For driving comfort an Alpine F903D Halo unit was installed providing a huge 9″ touch screen for safe Sat Nav, Media and Phone use while driving. The unit really is a game changer & we love installing them in our builds…
The garage space under the fixed bed is cavernous! That’s where the 105L fresh water tank is housed, along with the water & electrical systems. For all the gear & weekend toys we installed a custom made pull-out gear drawer on heavy-duty lockable slides, complete with two bike fork mounts to safely transport those expensive 2 wheelers!
Hoots is definitely one of our favourite vans + he’s now available to rent through Quirky Campers if you’d like to take some time in one of our builds to see what a Slow Road Camper is really like on the road!
Volkswagen Crafter CR35 LWB
Reflex Silver with Black Raptor Side Pod Extensions
- Alpine ILX-903D Halo 9″ Display Head Unit
- Fiamma F80S Awning + LED Light Kit
- Matt Black Aliminium Top Slider Windows (Rear Doors Only)
- Rear Door Mounted Spare Wheel Carrier by Wheeliams
- Thetford Topline Dual Burner Hob
- Heavy-Duty Pull-Out Gear Drawer with Bike Fork Mounts x2
- Full Off-Grid Solar System powered by Victron Energy Components
- 335W Panasonic HIT Solar Panel
- TN Power 110Ah Lithium Leisure Battery
- 3000W Sunshine Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- Pull-Out Porta Potti Drawer
- Vitrifrigo 115L Compressor Fridge/Freezer
- Sound Deadening / Insulation / Vapour Barrier
- R&J Camper Solutions Double Passenger Seat Swivel
- Truma 4E Combi Heater & Hot Water Boiler
- Engineered Oak Flooring
- Overhead Cabinets & Shelves
- Lagun Table Mount
- Touch/Dim LED Spotlights
- Kurs Flexistem LED Reading Lights
- Dometic Heki 2 Rooflight
- Maxxair Deluxe Fan
- Solid Oak Worktops
- Stainless-Steel Pull-Out Tap
- Hand-made Thermal Screen Covers
- Hand-made Upholstery